Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sunday Supper's Happy Ending - Pomme Tarte

Another Sunday and I'm wondering just what we are going to make which gives us a lovely dinner and leftovers during the week.  Leave it to me to have criteria attached to making that mere simple decision.  Criteria includes ingredients being in season and "localesque," healthy and something we wouldn't normally tackle during our busy work week.

This particular week, my first weekend at home in weeks where I wasn't pulled in a million different directions revealed I was out of practice of imagining a satisfying home cooked meal.  My busy work week sucked all the imagination right out of me.  The world was my oyster and I just couldn't make a decision....except for what I wanted for dessert.  Behold my inspiration which appeared right under my nose...

Braeburn Apples
"Oyster" being the key phrase, I plotted to have John make his scrumptious Oyster stew which would leave us the room to enjoy my version of a Pomme Tarte.

I think Joy's article on her "Evening in Paris" dinner also inspired my decision on what I would bring for dessert had we lived in the same city.  Voila!  Pomme Tarte.  Time to bring out my Julia Child book for a starting point.


Pre-heat the oven



Julia's pastry recipe is lush but I thought I would go with a lighter version.  I dusted off my Jacques Pepin's Today's Gourmet Light and Healthy Cooking for the 90's cookbook.  His version achieves a very similar outcome. 

Dough Ingredients

3/4 Cup all purpose flour (3 oz)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 tablespoons, ice-cold water

Place the flour, butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces and sugar into the bowl of a food processor.  Process for 5 seconds.


Then add the ice-cold water and process for 5 more seconds.


It may not look like dough yet, but I promise you it is. 


Take the mixture and form into a ball with your hands lightly and place on a piece of plastic wrap.  Place an additional piece of plastic wrap and roll out to the size of your baking dish.


Transfer the flattened dough to a cookie sheet and refrigerate.  This will give it a nice chill while you work on the apple filling.


Apple Filling Ingredients

3 small cooking apples or 2 large ones
Half Lemon
1 tablespoon sugar
Sprinkle of Cinnamon
Sprinkle of Nutmeg
1/3 cup of Raspberry jam

Thinly slice apples.  Squeeze lemon juice on the apples to maintain their delicate color from turning brown.  Lightly cook sliced apples to soften with a tablespoon of sugar and sprinkle of your favorite apple seasonings (i.e. cinnamon and nutmeg).   This is where I'm getting better at winging recipes.


Take rolled dough out of the fridge and place in tarte pan or you could go galette style and put on a cookie sheet and fold the dough over the filling.


Going rogue again from the Julia's original recipe,  I chose a more colorful addition to the already yellow dish and went with Raspberry jam instead of the traditional apricot jam.


My not nearly Julia-like placement of the apple slices: 


Fold dough over (galette style) or flute to the edges.  Bake for 45 minutes in the pre-heated 400 degree oven.


Remove from oven and cool a bit to savour to your heart's content.


Did we have enough for leftovers during the week?  You bet we did since there is only two of us.  Did we enjoy for a weeknight dinner?  I am my grandmother's granddaughter after all.  It has fruit and protein in it...why not?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered By Blogger